If you are thinking of installing an android application outside of Google Play, then following steps can help you:
1. Navigate to Menu >Settings > Applications and check “ Unknown Sources”
Note: once installation of your desired Android Application gets completed, you should un-check this feature again. Because this will increase your attack surface by allowing installation of non-market malicious applications.
2. Get the downloaded “.apk” file into your SD card and navigate to it by the file manager of your Phone.
If you don’t have file manager Application with your Phone, then you can ES File Explorer, or ASTRO File Manager or ICS File Explorer — Doggie.
3. Open your file manager application and navigation to the “.apk” file and click it. Select “Install” option to install it.
To run an Android App (.apk file) on Windows based computer you can use Android emulators or standalone applications such as YouWave (from http://youwave.com/).
YouWave software for Windows, allows to download and run Android applications on Windows based computers without having to bother about downloading the Android SDK and Java SDK. YouWave contains a virtual machine and can easily be installed with few mouse clicks.
After installing the program Android-application can be imported from the local drive or downloaded then installed from Internet.
To import Apps into YouWave from Local Drive:
- Navigate to YouWave working directory: “C:\Users\username\youwave\android apps\” and copy App files (ending with .apk) .
- Select “View” from YouWave menu and “Redraw Icons”. Wait for a moment! New App icons should appear.
- Double click on any app to install it into Android and run automatically.
Many times we receive calls/SMS from unknown numbers. Fortunately, there are Apps available for smart phones which can help us in finding caller’s name. TrueCaller (from http://truecaller.com/) is one of such App. It is available for variety of mobile phone platforms such as Android, iOS, Symbian, Blackberry, Windows Phone.
To use it you will need a good speed Internet Connection with your smart phone.
TrueCaller is a global phone directory program. Users can enter a name or phone number to search for and find people all over the world. TrueCaller displays caller information, block unwanted calls, and provide more other features.
Note: TrueCaller Android installation file .apk is available for direct download. To run TrueCaller on Windows based computer you can use Android emulators or standalone applications such as YouWave. For details check our blog https://technologydwell.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/how-to-run-an-android-app-apk-file-on-a-windows-computer-how-to-run-truecaller-app-on-a-windows-computer/