While Installing MVC3 for VS2010, it gives installation did not succeed message and the logs show this error:
Here goes the solution.
- Uninstall old version of Asp net web pages from you system.
- Run the install (even though it fails) but leave it open on the screen at the end that says “Installation Did Not Succeed” (This is very important!)
- Now you need to track down the temp files for the installer it should be in a folder D:/Temp/ext46220 (see the above error message screen shot it will give you the folder location)
- Make a copy of this entire folder because finishing the installer will delete it.
- Now that you have all the install files you just need to run the installers for the different components (to double check what they were you can open the log from the installer and see which msi’s it ran)
- So install AspNetWebPagesVS2010Tools.msi then AspNetMVC3VS2010Tools.msi form the copied folder.
This should work but after doing this when I was build a MVC3 application it gave errors sunc as missing reference for System.Web.MVC.dll and some Microsoft Web Helper DLLs for this I did following.
Since MVC3 has done major changes in this release as compared to MVC2 so you need to download ASP.NET MVC 3 Beta and NuPack. download and install them using the Microsoft Web Platform Installer.